Stomach sensitivity in dogs may come as a surprise to many dog owners, but itis a prevalent condition. Although canines may experience tummy upsets due to overeating or eating very fast, it should be a concern if the condition persists.
The common symptoms of stomach sensitivity in your dog will include everything from frequent vomiting, stomach flatulence, loose stool, and diarrhea, If not treated, the condition can advance into severe conditions such as gastric cancer, pancreatitis, and stomach ulcers.
Good news is there is no need to freak out. With the right diet and the best canned dog food for sensitive stomachs, the dog owner and the canine can kick the issues away. We have consulted with vets and conducted extensive research to bring you top-quality canned dog food for a sensitive tummy. Let’s get started, shall we?
Best Canned Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs in 2021
|Hill's Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin|
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult|
|Nature's Recipe Original Stew|
|Solid Gold Green Cow Beef Tripe|
|Nature's Recipe Original Homestyle Ground|
1. Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin — Best Dog Food With High-Quality Ingredients
Hill’s science diet comes in a 12-piece pack with cans of 12.8 oz capacity. The packaging is unique and easy to identify. Hill’s Science is formulated for every adult dog with sensitive stomachs and tummy issues.
We consider Hill’s science diet the best canned dog food for sensitive stomachs as it is made from pure and natural ingredients that are gentle on sensitive stomachs. The meal contains two high-quality proteins, salmon and turkey. These ingredients are a great source of protein for your pouch
The vegetable puree is also enhanced with green beans, potatoes, carrots, and apples for anti-oxidant and vitamins. The veggies also improve the taste of the meal.
Hill’s science diet is sourced from the purest ingredients. It is also grain, corn, and gluten-free. There are no preservatives or additives which can worsen the sensitivity.
We would recommend the Hill’s science diet as it is one of the most balanced adult dog food you will find in the market for sensitive stomachs. The high-quality ingredients will also be beneficial for any adult dog with tummy upsets and gastrointestinal problems.
2. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach — Best Adult Dog Food
When we talk of Purina Pro Plan Focus, we think quality and nutritive value. If you are an experienced dog owner, you must have heard of Purina or used it as its reputation precedes it.
Purina pro used salmon, which is nutrient-rich as the only source of protein for easier digestion. Fewer proteins have been known to help with sensitive stomachs.
The meal is also containing brown rice and potatoes, which are the highly digestible carbs that are a source of energy. The carrots and peas used in the stew are a vitamin source for boosting immunity.
The holistic composition of Purina Pro Plan is also attractive for dogs with stomach sensitivity. It is free from gluten, corn, and grains. It’s also an all-natural meal that does not contain any additives such as colors and sweeteners.
Purina is loaded with probiotics for improved health. The probiotics help in the digestion of food, making it excellent for stomach sensitivity. It also contains omega-six fatty acids which support healthy skin and shiny coat.
3. Nature’s Recipe Original Stew — Best Natural Dog Food
If your dog is sensitive to chicken, beef, or even fish, Nature’s Recipe has got a solution! The Lamb, Rice, and Barley recipe is an excellent stew for dogs who cannot withstand chicken. The stew is made from thick stew with cuts if lamb.
Nature’s Recipe canned dog food is available in metallic, 13.2-ounce cans of wet food. The packaging contains 12 cans, which are enough to feed your dog for a reasonable time.
Like the chicken recipe, this natural is made with high-quality lamb, which acts is the protein source. The lamb chunks in the stew are a gentle protein source for a dog with a sensitive stomach.
The healthy blend also contains easily digestible carbs such as rice and barley, which act as the energy source. To thicken the stew. carrots and peas are added. The vegetables are an excellent source of vitamins to boost immunity.
Nature’s Recipe is gluten-free and grain-free. The canned dog food does not contain any additives or artificial coloring and sweeteners.
4. Solid Gold Green Cow Beef Tripe — Best Value Dog Food
We listed Solid Gold due to its growing popularity among dog owners thanks to the high-quality ingredients used. Solid gold is an all-natural wet canned dog food that is excellent for sensitive stomachs.
The number one ingredient in this canned dog food is beef tripe, which is sourced and manufactured in the USA. The tripe is a high-quality protein source that is easily digestible for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
The beef tripe is mixed with holistic superfoods such as vitamins and healthy fats to create a highly palatable meal. Solid gold is a great option for picky dogs as its attractive but also packed with all essential nutrients. The probiotics in the canned food help in the digestion of food in the gut.
Solid gold does not contain any harmful artificial additives such as colors, sweeteners, or preservatives that can cause adverse tummy problems. It’s also free of grains and gluten-free.
Solid gold doubles up as a whole meal and a topper. It can be fed as a day’s meal or used to wet and enhance dry, canned dog foods.
5. Nature’s Recipe Original Homestyle Ground — Best Natural Canned Food
Nature’s Recipe caters for all dog preferences. If your dog prefers chicken to lamb, Nature’s Recipe still got you covered with their single protein Chicken, rice, and barley canned dog food. The quality remains top-notch.
Nature’s Recipe recognizes the needs of sensitive stomachs and leaves out grains and corn to ease digestion. The diet is also free of gluten, which is difficult to digest. The meal is also free of additives such as coloring, preservatives, and sweeteners.
The primary source of protein in Nature’s Recipe is chicken. It is a high-quality protein source for dogs with stomach complications. The meal also contains veggies that boost immunity. These vegetables used include peas and carrots, which also add flavor to the stew and thicken it.
Some users are concerned that the stew is too thick for a dog to lick comfortably. You can add a tablespoon of warm water and it’s good to go. Also, the chunks can be mashed into smaller pieces.
Single protein source
Does not contain artificial additives
The pieces are too thick
Before digging into the buyer’s guide for canned dog food for sensitive stomachs, let’s take a look at what you should know about sensitivity. It is common to find a dog with stomach sensitivity and upsets.
What causes dog stomach sensitivity?
- Quality of ingredients – Poor quality ingredients could take a toll on your canine’s digestive system leading to sensitivity and stomach upsets. The quality could also be as a result of preparation conditions. The food should be prepared in a clean environment to avoid food poisoning. The dog foods fed to your pup should be certified and of the highest quality possible.
- Fat content – Too much fat is poison for your dog! Even if you want your ouch to pull on some weight, fat is a no. High-fat diets are not only dangerous due to high cholesterol levels, but they also tax on the digestive system of the dog, causing digestion issues and sensitive stomachs.
- Digestion difficulties – The first and obvious indicator that your pouch is experiencing tummy problems is experiencing digestion issues. These issues will manifest in the form of vomiting and loose stool every time you feed them. Simple foods like hard ones have the same effect on your dog.
- Food allergies – Dogs, like their human owners, experience allergies to certain foods. It can be challenging to know whether it is a food allergy or just an expected reaction. Consumption of excessive proteins such as meat, chicken, and turkey is likely to result in stomach issues if your dog is allergic to proteins. If you notice persistent effects after feeding a certain food, you should immediately consult your vet and stop the use of the specific food.
- Emotional stress – Although it might sound unbelievable, dogs too experience emotional stress. A dog who has just been adopted from a shelter might be stressed, especially trying to adapt to their new home. The stress may manifest as stomach upsets and digestion problems. They may also get stomach sensitivity from a changing diet.
- Treats – Dog treats can be compared to junk for humans, which is not healthy. Treats usually come in the form of biscuits and small bones, which the pup can chew comfortably. These treats may bring about sensitive stomachs by causing indigestion as they have no nutritional value.
What should you look for in a quality canned dog food for sensitive stomachs?
It can be daunting to pick high-quality canned dog food for your canine if you do not know what to look for. Here are some guidelines:
- Grain and corn free – A canine with a sensitive stomach will find it difficult to digest any grainy foods. Grains may cause the digestive system of the dog to strain while trying to perform its functions, eventually leading to indigestion or stomach issues.
- High-quality proteins – A dog with a sensitive stomach should be put on a diet of high-quality protein. The protein should be given in predetermined portions to avoid digestion problems or allergic reactions. The diet should include proteins such as chicken, lamb, and turkey.
- Moderate carbs – Carbohydrates are not the easiest to digest, and it even gets harder for a dog experiencing stomach upset. The canned dog food you choose should contain moderate levels of carbs, which are easy to digest for energy and weight maintenance. The best carbs in such a case would be rice, brown rice, whole grain oats, pearled barley, and brewers rice.
- High fiber content – Fiber is important as it helps in the digestion of food. It is a key ingredient in any diet meant for a canine with a sensitive stomach. High fiber levels maintain the gut functioning on its toes. Flaxseeds, wholesome foods, and grains and beet pulp are some of the common sources of fiber.
- Omega fatty acids and probiotics – Probiotics keep gut flora in check to prevent stomach upsets that arise due to imbalance. Omega fatty acids such as omega three and DHA and EPA have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce stomach inflammation and flatulence.
Things to avoid
Some ingredients are a red flag, if indicated on the packaging of the canned dog food. They should be a cause for alarm. Avoid canned foods with the following ingredients.
- Fruits – Although the first thought that might cross your mind is vitamin source, fruits are a no! Fruits contain fructose. which can trigger stomach upsets in dogs with sensitive stomachs. There are better sources of vitamins such as vitamins E and C, which can substitute for fruits.
- Dairy products – Sensitivity can be an indication of a weak digestive system. Dairy products can be straining on a weak system since they contain lactose, which is difficult to digest. Avoid any dairy products such as milk and milk products by all means.
- Gluten – Gluten is found in cereal and grains, such as wheat. Grass-based foods also contain gluten as protein. Gluten can be very harmful to dogs with a sensitive stomach as they slow down digestion and take a lot of time to be broken down.
What canned dog food is good for sensitive stomachs?
There are countless canned dog foods in the market, and it can be confusing to choose what is right for your dog. The benchmark will however, enable you to pick the right canned food for your pouch. The first step to getting canned food that’s good for sensitive stomachs is visiting the vet. Once you notice persistent symptoms in your dog, schedule an appointment to find out the matter.
Quality canned food should contain a high-quality protein source such as chicken, a carbohydrate source, vitamins, and probiotics. It should also be loaded with high fiber content and omegas. Canned food good for sensitive stomachs should not contain any grains or additives such as sweeteners.
What is the easiest food for a dog to digest?
The appropriate do food should be one that contains ingredients that do not tax the digestive system of the dog. If going for canned food, it should contain very few ingredients, but they should be of the highest nutritive value. Fewer ingredients reduce the chances of having ingredients that will cause upsets.
The dog food should also go low in fats and carbs as these ingredients are known to be very difficult to digest. The easiest to digest dog foods are also packed with probiotics that aid in the digestion process. The absence of grains and corn also helps in making digestion easier.
What wet dog food is the best quality?
Wet canned dog food can be difficult can be daunting to choose, but they are excellent for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Wet foods should, however, be chosen keenly; otherwise, they will worsen the stomach upsets. Quality wet dog foods should be made from high-quality ingredients.
There should be no additives such as sweeteners and coloring, such as soy, which can cause further upsets. It should also not contain preservatives as they can cause tummy upsets. The ingredients in wet dog food should also be minimized to reduce the chances of foods that can cause digestion issues.
Is canned dog food easier to digest?
Canned food compared to homemade food is easier to digest too many dogs with sensitive stomachs. Although you can be extra careful as a dog owner while preparing your dog food, remember you are not an expert. High chances are you will not get it right with the ingredients and the measures.
Canned food is prepared by experts using measures and ingredients that are vet recommended. Canned foods are specially formulated to address a certain problem, such as sensitive stomachs. Canned foods constitute foods that are easy to digest, taking the strain off your dog’s digestive system. It also contains the prescribed ingredients in the right amounts for stomach upsets.
Is raw food good for dogs with sensitive stomachs?
If you are a dog parent to canine suffering from sensitive stomach and digestion problems, you should avoid raw foods for your pouch. A sensitive stomach means that the dog’s immunity is already compromised and weakened. Although it can be tempting since it requires no work, raw foods can have adverse effects on the dog’s health.
Raw meats are even more dangerous since they contain a lot of bacteria. Harmful bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella may cause life-threatening problems in your pouch. Cooking dog food kills such bacteria. You should avoid any raw foods at any cost to protect your pet.
The Final Words
A responsible dog owner should always be concerned with any health issues of their pet, especially if it involves digestion. If not treated promptly, stomach sensitivity can evolve to severe conditions such as Gl issues and cancer.
Quality canned dog food for sensitive stomachs should at all times contain a single protein formula to reduce the chances of stomach upsets. The protein should be of high quality to meet the bodybuilding needs. The meal should not contain any additives and colorings or artificial ingredients that can worsen stomach.
Grains and corn should not be found in the canned dog food. A probiotic is an indication of good canned dog food as it aids in digestion. Do not let your canine suffer again. Get quality canned dog food and kick stomach sensitivity!